Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Eating my way across Africa

Currently sitting in Charles de Gaulle airport, it seemed like a good time to finish up some blog posts about my final weeks in South Africa. To start off, I thought I’d quickly recap my 21st birthday, and then go into one of my favourite things in Cape Town- restaurants.

Unfortunately, my 21st fell on a Tuesday, which meant that I had a full day of classes and my internship, but that didn’t stop me from having a great time. I met my friend Andrew for lunch at UCT, and nommed on some traditional Cape Malay curries. After school, I went straight to Ubuntu, and afterwards Josh and I decided to grab drinks before I headed out for the evening. My housemates and I went to a wonderful Tapas restaurant on Long Street called Fork for my birthday. There, we split the table into smaller groups to order plenty of different tapas. Some stand outs included incredible goat cheese crostinis and toffee pudding. At the end of the meal, our waiter brought out some tea lights for me to blow out -definitely a wonderful meal. After wards, a few of us headed out to a club called Fiction, while it wasn’t exactly hopping (it being a Tuesday and all) I couldn’t complain about how my birthday turned out.
with my makeshift birthday candle! 

Besides Fork, which is a definite Cape Town recommendation, there are plenty of amazing places to dine around the Mother City. Another one of my favourites is the Bombay Bicycle Club. Completely eccentric, with crazy knick-knacks and a definite kitschy feel, the food is quite good (springbok shanks and mushroom risotto especially) and it is a lovely place to have a long dinner with a bottle of wine. For more of an African meal, I really like Addis in Cape, an Ethiopian restaurant downtown. Food is meant to be shared there, and is served both on and with very thin sourdough pancakes. The idea is to use these as utensils to eat all sorts of different “curries”. The lamb is especially delicious. One of the best things about Cape Town is the affordability of really great food. Another evening I went out to a wonderful wine bar, La Boheme, with a friend. They had a 3 course fixed price menu for R190 (<$25) that with paired with some shared wine made my total meal around $30. The affordability does not take away from the quality of the cuisine either, as I enjoyed crème brulee and smoked rabbit pasta that evening. Besides the high brow offerings, there are other great things to be had in Cape Town, like milkshakes from Mr. Pickwicks- they even have ones with alcohol- a deliciously dangerous combination. 

Despite all of these offerings, the place I ate at most in CT was Cocoa Wah Wah. Situated on the main road in Rondebosch, they have everything study abroad kids could want- coffee, free wifi, and super yummy food. It seemed a little fitting that I ate my last meal there. 
at Addis in Cape 
milkshake from Pickwicks 

Cocoa on my last morning 

No comments:

Post a Comment