Monday, August 15, 2011

Devil's Peak Hike, Rugby in the Rain, Old Biscuit Mill


So many things have happened this past week! My little was asking how I’m managing to fit it all in, and honestly I’m not quite sure, but each week has just been filled with more and more things to do and places to explore.

Tuesday we had off for a Public Holiday, so some housemates and I hiked part of Devil’s Peak. UCT is built up the side of the mountain, so the hike overlooked the suburb where we live which was really interesting. We didn’t go all the way to the top, not even close, but we still had a nice leisurely two hour hike up and an hour hike back. The weather was perfect, and I took some great pictures. Being outdoorsy is big here, and we saw plenty of people and dogs on our hike. It was definitely a good way to spend a day off.

Friday night the program got us tickets to a professional rugby game! The stadium is a suburb over from where we live, and the atmosphere was awesome. We had poor weather on Friday, with cold showers occurring fairly regularly, but there were still plenty of rugby enthusiasts out to see the DHL Western Cape Province team battle The Sharks from Durban. We got rained on a bit, but it was definitely worth it! Rugby is a really intense, very physical sport. The players don’t wear any pads, and as I found out on Friday, play in any weather. The game made me really excited for the start of the Rugby World Cup that South Africa will be defending its current title at! Tickets were also pretty cheap, so I can see rugby as something I start getting into more.

Saturday several of my housemates and I headed to the Old Biscuit Mill. A must for anyone visiting Cape Town, there were craft vendors, shops and the most amazing food market I have ever been to. The Neighbour Goods  Market has a collection of both prepared foods, different ethnic foods made to order, and a collection of fresh baked bread, different cheeses and meats. Essentially it was foodie heaven.  I bought a few really cute souvenirs, a really cozy scarf and plenty of delicious food. The pictures hardly do overwhelming amazingness justice. The food market is only on Saturday mornings, and getting there early is a must, by the time I arrived around 11 it was already almost too crowded, at least I will know for next time! Afterwards I headed downtown to Bo-Kaap, an historic known for brightly colored houses and a strong Muslim community. 













No comments:

Post a Comment